This is Glen from St. Pierre’s Retail Operations.
I’m writing to talk about the COVID-19 situation and what the company is doing to help.
Short answer: don’t worry! If you are required to isolate, you still get paid!
First, we know it’s a worrying time. NZ hasn’t had this much COVID before, and it is a concern. But please remember that we’re in this together, and we will get through it together!
Also remember that – if we take precautions – Omicron is not so dangerous for most people. The best thing we can all do is keep wearing masks and washing our hands like before, and getting a booster (third) vaccine. It’s safe and free for everyone in NZ, whatever your visa.
If you haven’t had a booster, please get one ASAP. They’re available everywhere – you can make a booking or just walk in. If you need time, please talk to your manager – you can get a booster while on the clock at work.
There’s one more thing. If you get COVID, don’t feel embarrassed. Sadly, it is happening to many people. The most important thing is to protect your health and everyone else by isolating at home until you recover.
If you feel sick, here’s what to do:
- If you have COVID symptoms
- Cough, sneezing, runny nose, fever, loss of smell or taste, sore throat…
- Tell your manager, and get a rapid test (RAT) from work, a testing centre etc.
- If you test negative, talk with your manager about taking sick leave as usual
- Whatever the reason for being unwell, please be socially responsible and stay home
- It’s the right thing to do for your team and customers
- If you test positive for COVID, you need to isolate (at home away from other people) for ten days
If you test positive or are a household contact and have to isolate, don’t worry! Together, the company and the Government will support you. You can still get paid as usual for up to ten days. You just need to give us one of:
- A photo of a positive RAT test
- Formal instruction to self-isolate such as
- A text message from the Ministry of Health
- An email or diagnosis from a doctor
- A screenshot from your COVID -19 Tracer App
Then you get paid 80%-100% of your usual pay.
You may be formally required to self-isolate even if you don’t test positive. If so, you get paid too.
After ten days of isolation and no more symptoms, people have recovered from Omicron. It’s then safe for staff to return to work, so please welcome them back, working as a team to support each other.
Remember, we’re in this together! Please try to stop the spread by good hygiene and getting a booster shot. If you do get COVID, please isolate to stop further spread!
Let us help you – and your family – stay safe and well!
Finally, here’s a chart which can help if you’re still not sure: